Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Ethiopia - New Book : The Train to Djibouti

Ethiopia - New Book : The Train to DjiboutiLara Kassa is a writer living in London and published a new book about Ethiopia entitled "The train to Djibouti". The following is an interview the author had with Werkama, an Ethiopian magazine published in United Kingdom.

But don't be put off by the title - the book has almost nothing to do with either a train or Djibouti. It is in fact a story of adventure - an intriguing romp through Addis Ababa and various other Ethiopian locations, including Awasa, Wondegenet and Ambo as the determined protagonists try to untangle the mystery of a missing young man and a pair of foreigners' search for legendary treasure. This novel could be described as an "Indiana Jones and the Lost Ark" story for grown-ups.The novel is crammed with vivid descriptions of landscapes and characters that are instantly recognizable to anyone familiar with Ethiopia. This, coupled with the cleverly crafted plot, which contains many interesting Biblical and historical references, make "The Train to Djibouti" a truly compelling story. The Author, Italian-born Lara Kassa, is herself married to an Ethiopian and it is clear from the playful humor, sincere kindness and great modesty of the book's Ethiopian characters that she is a great admirer Ethiopia's remarkable culture. Werkama caught up with Lara Kassa in London to ask her more about her book.

Werkama: Why did you choose the title "The Train to Djibouti"?

Lara: When I visited Ethiopia I became very fascinated by this train that I knew existed but I never seemed to actually see passing, so I used it as a symbol of the dreams and fantasies that the various characters in the book have about their lives. A main theme of the book - apart from reflecting the people and traditions of Ethiopia - is how many people dream of a different life, when sometimes it is good to appreciate the life you have. What we have is good most of the time and there are so many positive things about Ethiopia, so although there are problems there, there are problems in every country - we all struggle with life, but there is also a lot to appreciate.

Werkama: How long did it take to write the book?Lara: I started jotting down the main ideas when I came back from Ethiopia in mid-2004. Then I left it for a while until I had organised the story in my mind and then I kept writing and putting all the pieces together.
Werkama: What inspired you to write it?Lara: I have always been interested in Ethiopian history and culture but the main inspiration was when I first saw Ethiopia in 2004 and I found the people and the way of life really fascinating - completely different to the West.
Werkama: In what way is Ethiopia different?Lara: The strong social culture and sense of time there - somehow time seems to pass more slowly whereas here there never seems to be enough time for anything! So it feels like a more relaxed way of life in Ethiopia.

Werkama: How do you find the Ethiopian people?Lara: From the first time I met Ethiopians - even over here, but in Ethiopia it is stronger, I was so surprised by the hospitality they showed to me and other 'fereng' and to each other. It is really striking - I have travelled quite a bit and I can say that I have never met such hospitable people in my life. Sometimes it feels like they would give you their heart! It showed me how Ethiopia can teach the rest of the world a lot about kindness and respect.

Werkama: As an Italian, do you see any similarities between the two cultures?Lara: Very much so, as I am always remarking to my husband; the family values are especially similar - for Italians the family is one of the most important things, the bonds are very close and I notice the same with Ethiopians. And also the general social interaction is similar too, talking to neighbours and others instead of ignoring them. Even simple things like coffee - in Italy, like Ethiopia, drinking coffee is about being together, talking and sharing thoughts, not just drinking a cup of coffee in Starbucks.

Werkama: Which parts of Ethiopia have you visited?Lara: I know Addis Abeba quite well - my husband is from there and also I went south to Arba Minch, Awasa, Debrezeit - all the places described in the book. I have been to the north as well - wonderful places there too; Axum, Lalibela, Lake Tana and the amazing Tis Abay. In my next book I will focus more on these areas.

Werkama: Where did you do your research?Lara: Although I have been to Ethiopia several times, I did most of my research in London libraries, but all of the descriptions of places and people came from my own experiences.

Werkama: How did it feel to complete the novel?Lara: It was extremely satisfying for me to accomplish this, because writing has always been one of my favourite things; in Italy I worked as a part-time journalist for a while where I sometimes had to write what the editor told me to write. One day I had an argument with him and he told me, "the day you write your own book you can write whatever you like" - and now I have!

Werkama: Would you like to see the book made into a film one day?Lara: Yes - I know that Ethiopia has an emerging film industry and I went to the cinema one time; I enjoyed the movie and the acting was very good.

Werkama: Do you find that Ethiopia is represented accurately by the media?Lara: No, not at all. Most reportage about Ethiopia is negative: wars, famine, poverty - which nobody denies do exist, but it's wrong to give only this impression to the rest of the world. People think it is a desert but the part of Ethiopia that I mainly saw was incredibly green and fertile. So it is a distorted image that people are seeing and this was another motivation for me to write the book.
Werkama: How do you think Ethiopians can tackle poverty?Lara: It is obviously not simple, but I wish that the Ethiopian government and people could develop ways of keeping the most talented and clever people in the country, instead of them just going abroad as soon as they finish University. I understand that they want to experience new things and earn money which is good, but I'm sure that it would really help the country to progress if they used their potential at home instead of what is known as 'brain-drain'.

Werkama: What advice would you give to Ethiopian writers?Lara: I know that there are many Ethiopian writers, and I hope that they will explore and learn more about their own country so that they can teach their fellow countrymen and the rest of the world what Ethiopia really is, because everyone really needs to know about these things. And in fact I advise all Ethiopians who have the means to travel around Ethiopia - I know it is not a strong part of the culture, but the last time I went there I met a few Ethiopians who were living in other parts of the world, but had taken the trip to learn more about their country and when they saw how beautiful and amazing it was, they were really happy with their decision.

The book is available from Amazon.com

Source: Nazret

1 comment:

Lara said...

Dear friend at Saylicipress, thank you for posting my interview. Nice blog too! You can visit mine at www.larakassa.blogspot.com
Keep up the good work! Ciao